It is our review of the Breville Duo Temp 800ESXL espresso machine.
Coffee Aim’s Ratings
Our readers send us more than 650 emails across the US about the Breville Duo Temp 800ESXL. The below table shows our rating for the Breville Duo Temp 800ESXL espresso machine:
|Easy to clean||9.64/10|
|Easy to use||9.14/10|
|Value for money||8.80/10|
The Bottom Line
With every function that a beginner brewer needs, the Breville 800ESXL is an entry-level, semi-automatic machine, you can operate it with a touch of a few buttons and a turn of the dial. The machine is engineered into a 15-bar Triple-Prime pump for pre-infusion and a Thermoblock heating element. With increased pressure during extraction, its unique 15-bar Triple-Prime™ pump allows the machine to extract more crema and gives you third-wave specialty coffee with a rich, smooth taste. Unfortunately, the Breville 800ESXL doesn’t include a grinder. For an integrated grinder check out the Breville Barista Express.
Key Features and Specifications of Breville Duo Temp 800ESXL Espresso Machine
- Price: $259.99
- Product Name: Breville Duo Temp 800ESXL
- Machine type: Sami automatic, pump espresso machine
- Model No: 800ESXL
- Brand Name: Breville
- Color: Brushed Stainless Steel
- Dimensions (WxDxH): 13 x 16 x 15 inches
- Item Weight: 1 pound
- Water Tank Capacity: 75 oz
- Removable Water Reservoir: Yes
- Integrated Burr Grinder: Not included
- Cappuccinatore: Manual ‘pannerello’
- Hot Water: Hot water feature for pre-heating cups or making Americanos, tea & hot chocolate
- Bean container: Baskets
- Waste container: No
- Max cup height: 4.5 inches
- Coffee Used: Ground coffee.
- Pod Friendly: E. S. E. pods
- Brewing group: One portafilter with three filters
- Heater: Thermoblock
- Max pressure: 15 bar
- Used Pump: 15 bar Italian pump, Triple-Prime Pump to moisten grounds for optimal extraction
- Grouphead: 2 Dual Wall Grouphead Filters
- Frothing Wand: Stainless steel 360° swivel-action steam wand with froth enhancer
- Auto-Purge: Auto-Purge automatically adjusts water temp after steam for optimal extraction
- Removable drip tray: Removable drip tray with Empty Me! tray full indicator
- Thermoblock heating system: Die-cast aluminum
- Machine Construction Material: Solid diecast metal construction
- Used Plastic for Water Reservoir: BPA-free
- Interface: Manual control buttons
- Portafilter: 50 mm single and double-shot pressurized portafilter baskets
- Cup warming tray: Yes
- Accessories: (1) Stainless steel frothing pitcher with froth enhancer, which slides onto frother nozzle, (2) 50 mm single and double-shot pressurized portafilter baskets, (3) ESE pod filter attachment, (4) Selector dial for steam, espresso, or hot water, (5) Combination scoop and tamper, (6) Needle cleaning tool for portafilter, (7) Storage compartment behind the drip tray
- Storage Tray: Concealed storage tray houses
- Selector dial: Selector dial for steam, espresso, or hot water
- Power: 1200 Watts
- Voltage: 110–120 Volts
- Warranty: 1 Year Repair Warranty
- You can pre-infuse your coffee grounds for optimal extraction: Thanks to Triple-Prime Pump
- Thermoblock heating elements heat up water relatively fast
- Its auto-purge system drastically reduces the time and cost of cleaning
- Heavy-duty and durable machine
- Solid stainless steel construction
- Reasonable 74 oz removable water reservoir
- Fine steamer creates good frothing on the milk
- You have to purchase a compatible 50 mm non-pressurized portafilter basket for a more significant shot of espresso
- The machine can’t pull shot and steam milk at the same time like a Double Boiler Breville espresso machine
- No Auto-Start and No Auto-Off features
Is the Breville Duo-Temp 800ESXL for you?
Although the Breville 800ESXL Duo-Temp is a solid semi-automatic pump espresso machine for novice and intermediate home baristas, we don’t recommend it because it has two significant downsides:
- It doesn’t have an integrated grinder
- It’s discontinued
When it comes to the price, Breville 800ESXL is an affordable machine. If the price matters, why not check the Cafe Roma and De’Longhi EC155M, which have pretty same features as 800ESXL more affordable, and are still available.
If you are some steps above intermediate home baristas and require an integrated grinder, check out the Breville Barista Express. Although it is three times pricy than the Breville 800ESXL, it can fulfill your desire.
Other alternatives to the Breville 800ESXL Duo-Temp are the Jura brand espresso machines. And they won’t disappoint you. Jura brand has a line of coffee machines, and their luxury elements are apparent, and they always deliver. Unfortunately, they are the most expensive espresso machines.
If you are a bean to cup coffee machine user, reasoning these machines are pretty expensive, you want an affordable espresso machine without a built-in grinder; you are all right.
Because bean-to-cup espresso machines are pretty expensive, there is no need to consider using these coffee makers with built-in grinders. Buy a cheap separate grinder instead to grind your whole coffee beans.
The separate grinder will grind the beans freshly for you, and then you can produce the espresso immediately without any other preparation required.
Are you considering a high-quality espresso machine with a separate grinder more costly? Wrong!
Buy a cheap bean-to-cup espresso machine without a coffee grinder and grind the beans yourself; buy far this is one of the best value for money ways of producing a café quality espresso if you are interested.
So the lack of an integrated grinder is a good thing for an intermediate-level home barista! Your grinder may prove itself the essential part of your shot, even more, critical than your espresso machine. Honestly, integrated grinders rarely measure up to dedicated espresso grinders- burr grinders. The catch?