Your arrival is a testimony that you are also a coffee lover like me, however, you must hav come here in search of some ambiguities about How to use a Nespresso VertuoMachine. Let me guess, you are a new buyer of Nespresso Vertuo and right now you are not able to understand its usage instruction from the manual, or you are that old user of Nespresso, who have somehow lost the instructional manual and now rummaging through the coffee sites to find the solutions to your problems.
Guess what, I have great news for you because in this article I am going to tell you how you can use the unique technology system of the Nespresso Vertuo Machine to get the coffee of your choice. Let’s dig deep into the various instructions about how to use your Nespresso Vertuo Machine.
As you embark on this journey, I want to emphasize the significance of safety. Did you know that the US Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that annually, 31,000 household fires are caused by electrical malfunctions? To prioritize the well-being of yourself and others, I strongly advise taking the necessary safety precautions. By following various preventive measures, you can protect yourself and your family from any misadventure.
To learn more about how to avoid accidents, please follow the link below for important safety information.
Specifications Of Nespresso Vertuo Machine
Before you start using your Nespresso Vertuo Machine, it’s important to understand its specifications. If you find that these specifications do not meet your requirements, you can easily exchange or return your brewer as long as it has not been used. So, let’s take a look at the details of your Nespresso Vertuo Machine:
|Capacity||40 fl oz(1.2l)|
|Dimensions (W x D x L) Inches||Width: 8.3in W Depth:11.9in D Height: 11.9in H|
|Dimensions (W x D x L) mm||Width: 211mm W Depth: 303mm D Height: 303mm H|
What Is Inside The Box
I am aware that you are excited to finally unwrap your brewer and start exploring the world of coffee. Your new Nespresso Vertuo Machine has a variety of coffee blends and brew strengths for you to experiment with. So, without any further delay, let’s delve into your new brewer and discover all it has to offer. If any part of the machine listed below is missing, you need to contact your retailer or seller.
- Nespresso Vertuo Machine
The most important item in the box is the Coffee Machine. You must make sure that it must be present in the box and that you have got the same model of machine you purchased.
- Nespresso Capsules Box
The next thing is the Nespresso capsule box which is available for free for your first coffee as trial and add-ons.
- Nespresso Welcome Material
The next thing in the Package is the Nespresso Welcome Material for the buyers. This package typically includes a welcome guide and information on the Nespresso Club and its benefits.
- User Manual
The next thing you will get in the packing is the User Manual of your Nespresso Vertuo Machine. Make sure to read it completely before getting on to the next step.
Parts Of Nespresso Vertuo
Now that you have successfully unpacked your Nespresso Vertuo, it is time to get acquainted with the different parts of your Nespresso Vertuo Machine in order to use it safely, and properly and get the most out of it. Let’s begin this new journey.
- On/Off and Coffee button
The on/off button of the Nespresso Vertuo Machine is a fundamental feature that provides you with control over the power of the device. Despite its simplicity, this button serves different functions, such as turning the machine on and off, as well as initiating the brewing process.
- Locking/Unlocking Lever
The locking/unlocking lever on your Nespresso Vertuo Machine is used to securely hold the coffee capsule in place during the brewing process.
3. Coffee Outlet
The coffee outlet on the Nespresso Vertuo Machine is where the freshly brewed coffee is dispensed. It is adjustable and can accommodate different cup sizes, allowing you to customize your coffee experience to suit your preferences.
4. Drip Tray
The drip tray on your Nespresso Vertuo Machine is a removable component that catches any excess coffee or drips during the dispensing of beverages.
5. Water Tank
The water tank is an important part of your Nespresso Vertuo Machine. It is where you fill up the machine with water before brewing your coffee.
6. Adjustable Cup Support And Drip Grid
The adjustable cup support and drip grid on the Nespresso Vertuo Machine are designed to hold and support your coffee cup during the brewing process. The cup support and drip tray are adjustable according to the size of the cup.
7. Capsule Container
The capsule container on your Nespresso Vertuo Machine is where you put your used coffee capsules after brewing.
First Use Or After An Extended Period Of Non-Use
Anxious about using it for the first time or after a long time? Don’t worry! I will tell you how to get going with your Nespresso Vertuo Machine to make your favourite coffee. Let’s start!
- Rinse and clean the water tank before adding fresh drinking water.
- Insert the water tank back into place.
- Make sure the drip tray and capsule container are in place.
NOTE: For your safety, operate your Nespresso Vertuo machine with the capsule container in place.
3.Plug Nespresso Vertuo into a socket.
4. Press the ON button to turn on your Nespresso Vertuo Machine. The button will eventually light up as the device heats up in about 15 seconds.
5. Steady light in the ON/OFF button (Cup Symbol) indicates Nespresso Vertuo Machine is ready.
6. Place a container of at least 12.5 fl oz. / 0.4L under the coffee spout.
7. Close the machine head and secure it by turning the lever to the left until it reaches the lock symbol on the machine.
8. To start cleaning, press the button 3 times within 2 seconds. The water will start dispensing in less than 2 minutes, with water flowing out. It consists of 3 cycles: pumping water in, internal cleaning, and water flowing out from the outlet.
9. The operation may take up to 5 minutes. To stop it at any time, press the button and the light will turn steady. To resume cleaning, press the same button again. To brew coffee, insert a capsule, close the machine head, secure it by turning the lever to the left, and then press the button.
The moment you have been waiting for is finally here – preparing your coffee using your Nespresso Vertuo Machine. I will guide you through the process step by step to ensure that you get the perfect taste of your coffee. Make sure to follow each step closely to achieve the best results.
1. Fill the water tank with fresh drinking water.
2. Press the “ON/OFF” button to turn on your Nespresso Vertuo Machine.
3. The light will flash for about 15 seconds while your Nespresso Vertuo machine is heating up.
4. Steady light shows your Nespresso Vertuo is ready to use.
5. Recommended factory settings and cup sizes are: Alto 14 oz/414ml, Coffee 7.77 fl oz/230 ml, Espresso 1.35 fl oz/40ml. Make sure to use the sizes which are recommended, in order to avoid any errors.
6. The cup holder has 3 positions to fit the 3 different cup sizes.
7. Place a cup of sufficient capacity under the coffee spout in order to avoid any overflow and loss of coffee.
8. Unlock your Nespresso Vertuo Machine head and open it completely.
9. Please note that the Nespresso Vertuo Machine is specifically designed to only work with Nespresso Vertuo Capsules. Using Nespresso Classic Capsules is not compatible with this machine.
10. To begin, place the dome-shaped Nespresso Vertuo capsule into the machine. Please exercise caution and take care not to hurt yourself with any sharp objects or pinch your fingers while reaching for the device.
To avoid damaging your Nespresso Vertuo Machine, use only new, unused capsules. Make sure the previous capsule has been expelled before inserting a new one.
11. Close the lid of the Machine. Turn the lever to the left and align it with the lock symbol on the Nespresso Vertuo head to lock it.
Note: You can do this even while the Nespresso Vertuo is still warm. Coffee automatically flows when the machine is ready.
12. Press the ON/OFF button, and the coffee brewing process will get started. It takes a while for the coffee flow to come out because of barcode reading and coffee pre-wetting.
The Nespresso Vertuo Machine automatically recognizes the inserted capsule and selects coffee preparation parameters and cup lengths defined by Nespresso coffee experts to extract the best coffee blend.
13. To stop the flow of coffee, press the on/off button again.
NOTE: To prevent any harm to the machine, it is recommended to use solely new and unused capsules. Prior to inserting a new capsule, make sure to eject the previous one.
NOTE: It is possible to perform this action even while the machine is still heating up. Once the machine is ready, the coffee will automatically begin to flow.
NOTE: Upon inserting the capsule, the machine will automatically identify it and select the optimal coffee preparation parameters and cup size as designated by Nespresso coffee experts. This ensures that the coffee blend is extracted to its highest potential.
14. To top off your coffee manually, press the ON/OFF button then press it again and stop when the desired quantity is reached.
15. Rotate the lever towards the right to access the top part, the machine will automatically expel the utilized capsule.
Auto Shut-Off Concept
Do you often forget to switch off your coffee maker? No problem! Engineers behind it have engineered an Auto-off option by default that allows the machine to shut off automatically to lower electricity consumption.
- Press the ON/OFF button for 3 seconds to power off the Nespresso Vertuo machine anytime. However, if you have forgotten to switch it off, Nespresso Vertuo Machine will automatically turn off after 9 minutes of inactivity.
Programming The Amount Of Water
To make a perfect cup of your favourite coffee, you need to be particular about the quantity of water, the ideal cup size, and the capsule you are using in it. Programming is specific to each capsule. Alto, coffee, or espresso. The cup size is reprogrammable from 0.3 fl oz./10 ml to 17 fl 0z./500ml.
Let’s start the process of programming the amount of water in your Nespresso Vertuo Machine!
- Open the Nespresso Vertuo head, insert the capsule blend to be programmed, and close the head. Lock the Nespresso Vertuo Machine.
- Hold the button until the desired volume is reached.
- Water volume is now preserved relative to the capsule size used for programming.
Once you have programmed your desired volume, every time that specific pod size you place in your Nespresso Vertuo Machine, the brewed coffee will stop at your programmed cup size. If you want to restore your cup size see the Factory reset section below.
Reset Default Factory Setting
Your Nespresso Vertuo has a factory reset option through which you can reset the changes if you have gone wrong. Let me tell you how you can reset your Machine to factory default settings.
- Open the head of your Nespresso Vertuo machine and let the used capsule be ejected.
2. Close the head. Leave the lever in the unlocked position.
3. Press the ON/OFF button 5 times within 3 seconds. It slowly blinks 5 times to confirm the reset is completed. So now your Nespresso Vertuo Machine is set to the default settings.
Emptying The System Before A Period Of Non-Use (For Frost Protection, Or Before A Repair)
To keep your Nespresso Vertuo Machine working efficiently, ensure that it is empty before having its repair works done, storing or transportation, etc. You will need to follow the steps to keep your machine working better. Let’s start the process!
1. First empty and then insert the water tank back into its place.
2. Place a container under the coffee spout and lock the machine.
3. Unplug the power cord.
4. Open the machine head and eject the used capsule.
5. Close the head again and turn the lever to the left until it locks.
6. Plug in the power cord while holding the ON/OFF button then release it.
7. When your Nespresso Vertuo is empty, it will automatically turn off.
Be careful when plugging in the Nespresso Vertuo Machine with the button pressed, as the machine uses heat to dump the remaining liquid. A small number of vapours may come out of the Nespresso Vertuo Machine.
Cleaning Of Your Nespresso Vertuo Machine
Do you know if you neglect to clean your brewer, many problems can occur? Bacteria and germs will thrive in the moist environment of your brewer. This could lead to health issues and unpleasant odours. But you do not need to get anxious about this matter as your Nespresso Vertuo machine has predefined cleaning procedures that can initiate at the user’s discretion. Let’s get started!
NOTE: If you are using it in the office, you need to clean it on a daily basis.
- Do not use strong or abrasive detergents or solvent cleaners.
- Avoid placing your coffee maker in the dishwasher or submerging any part of it in water.
- Clean your coffee spout regularly with a damp cloth.
- Only use cleaning tools to clean the Nespresso Vertuo Machine.
1. Rinse the water tank before adding fresh drinking water into it. Replace the water tank in its predefined spot.
- Rinse your Machine’s cup support. Place a container of at least 13.5 fl oz./0.4 l under the coffee outlet.
3. Open the head and the used capsule will be ejected automatically. Empty and rinse the used capsule container.
4. Close the head and turn the lever to the left until it locks.
5. Press the button three times within two seconds. The button flashes quickly during the process. It takes fewer than 2 minutes for the flow to come out. The cleaning process will run automatically for 5 minutes. The procedure consists of 3 cycles of water flow from pumping in/cleaning inside/ flowing from the outlet to closing.
6. This process can be interrupted by pressing the button, causing the light to turn steady. To resume cleaning, press the button again.
Note: If you want to brew, Insert the capsule and close the machine. To lock, turn the lever to the left, and press the button to start the brewing process.
How to Descale Nespresso Vertuo Machine?
Your Nespresso Vertuo Machine is equipped with a descaling alarm. The LEDs alternately blink 3 times and then stay lit. Descaling becomes mandatory if you get a warning and after it, you can only use Nespresso Vertuo Machine a few more times to make coffee. Now let’s begin with the descaling process.
Related: Nespresso Descaling Solution Review →
NOTE: The duration required for descaling is approximately 20 minutes.
- Empty the drip tray and used capsules container.
- Fill the water tank with 1 unit of Nespresso descaling solution and add 17 fl oz/0.5L of water.
- Turn your Nespresso Vertuo on by pressing the ON/OFF button.
- Flashing light in the button means your machine is heating, while the solid light means that your machine is ready.
5. Open the head and the used capsule will be ejected automatically.
6. Close the machine again and leave the lever in the “unlocked” position, i.e., towards the front of the machine.
7. Press and hold the button for more than 7 seconds to enter descaling mode.
8. The ON/OFF button flashes quickly. You have now only 45 seconds to enter your machine into the descaling mode by following the steps below or your machine will return to the ready-to-brew coffee state.
9. Turn the lever to the left to align it with the lock symbol on the machine head to lock it, and turn it to the right to unlock it. Again hold the button for more than 7 seconds while the lever is in the unlock position.
10. Place a container (minimum volume: 0.6 liters) under the coffee spout.
11. To start descaling, turn the lever to the left to lock the machine and press the ON/OFF button. When the descaling process is finished, the machine will automatically stop.
NOTE: If the machine is fully descaled, the decalcification program will not work and will stop and flash. In this case, pause the program for a few minutes to allow the descaling agent to penetrate the limescale deposits, then press the button again to continue descaling.
12. Empty and rinse the water tank, drip tray, and cup support.
13. Fill the water tank more than halfway with fresh drinking water
14. When you are ready, press the button to flush the water from the machine. When finished, your Nespresso Vertuo machine will automatically stop. You can abort the process at any time by pressing the button.
15. Press and hold the ON/OFF button for more than 7 seconds to exit the descaling mode.
16. The ON/OFF button flashes faster and becomes steady.
17. Descaling is complete. Wait for 10 minutes until the machine is dry before using it for coffee preparation.
18. Nespresso Vertuo is ready to use!
The Descaling solutions can be harmful. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and surfaces.
Nespresso Vertuo is designed in a way that there are different illuminating lights on the button that indicate the different modes of the Nespresso Vertuo Machine. Let me tell you what this blinking interprets!
|No light on the button||Machine is OFF|
|Steadily illuminated button||It’s a ready mode|
|Regular blinking(once/sec)||Machine is getting hot (see points 6 & 7 in the troubleshooting table to resolve the issue)|
|Blinks quickly(twice/sec)||Cleaning mode(see point 6 in the troubleshooting table to resolve the issue )|
|Blinks rapidly(thrice/sec)||Descaling/Emptying(see point 6 in the troubleshooting table to resolve the issue)|
|Pulse up: lightening up to steady ON, then OFF||Heating up (see point 7in the troubleshooting table to resolve the issue)|
|Pulse down: fading to OFF then ON||Cooling down after overheating(see point 7in the troubleshooting table to resolve the issue)|
|Blinks rapidly twice then long OFF||error(see points 7 & 8 in the troubleshooting table to resolve the issue)|
|Button ON for 1.5sec, then OFF for 0.5sec||Water tank is empty(see point 5 in the troubleshooting table to resolve the issue)|
|Blink 5 times in 10 sec||Reset to factory settings|
|Button is lit for 1 sec, then blinks twice in 1 sec, then lit again||Descaling start ( see point 11 in the troubleshooting table to resolve the issue)|
Whenever you are facing difficulties in operating your Nespresso Vertuo Machine, I will tell you about the instructions about dealing with your problem. So let’s look at the issue you may be facing to find its solution.
|1.No button light||If the Nespresso Vertuo is automatically turned off, please press the ON/OFF button or unlock the machineCheck plug, outlet, voltage, and fuse|
|2.No coffee, no water||Make sure the water tank is fullMake sure the new capsule is inserted in the correct position and the lever is adequately locked, press the button to start.Descale if necessary.Open the head and expel the capsule. Then clean according to the cleaning section|
|3. The coffee is not very warm||Preheat the cup with hot water.Descale if necessary.|
|4. If Nespresso Vertuo does not start, the light stays on. If blinking, see the following points.||Check whether the lever is locked correctly.When brewing coffee or espresso, ensure the new capsule is placed in the correct position and the lever is locked correctly, then press the button to start.When cleaning, descaling, or emptying the system, ensure no capsules are inserted, and close and lock the machine, press the button to initiate any of these processes|
|5. The machine does not start, and the indicator lights alternately flash. One blink and one pause.||Fill up the water tank and press the ON/OFF button to start.Ensure that the lever is locked correctly.|
|6. Light blinks while the machine is running||If the coffee flows normally, this indicates that the Nespresso Vertuo is working properlyIf only water is flowing, the machine prompts the user to clean, descale or drain the system. See relevant section in this manualPush the ON/OFF button to stop the machine when not cleaning, descaling, or draining the system. If it is still flashing, push and hold the button for at least 7 seconds to exit descaling mode or read the next section.If the problem still exists, call the Nespresso Club.|
|7. Light blinks while Nespresso Vertuo is off||Coffee flow takes longer to come out (because of barcode reading and coffee pre-wetting)Check if the new capsule is inserted correctly in the right position and if the lever is properly locked. Press the button to startFill in the water tank and press the button.Push the button 3 seconds long to switch to “OFF mode”, and press again to “ON.” Wait about 20 minutes for the machine to cool down after prolonged use.If the machine does not turn “off,” press the button for more than 7 seconds to exit descaling mode.|
|8. Light blinks readily, 2 blinks, and 1 pause frequently. The machine is not running.||During regular coffee/espresso preparation: 1) Ensure a new capsule is placed in the correct position. 2) Make sure the lever is in the “LOCK” position. 3) If the problem persists, remove the capsule and insert a new one, latch and press the button.During descaling, emptying, and cleaning: 1) Check if the capsule has been expelled. 2) Make sure the lever is in the LOCK position. 3) Press and hold the button for more than 3 seconds to switch the machine to “off mode.” 4) Press the button again to turn the machine “on.” If the problem persists, unplug the power cord from the power outlet, wait 10 seconds, and then plug the device back into the power outlet. Press the button to turn on the power, and press again to start brewingDuring Programming Volume: 1) Please check if a capsule has been inserted correctly2) Please refer to the corresponding chapter. ➔If the problem persists, call the Nespresso Club.|
|9. Leakage or unusual coffee flow||Check whether the water tank is appropriately positioned.|
|10. Machine turns to OFF mode||To save energy, Nespresso Vertuo will turn off after 9 minutes of non-use. See paragraph on “Energy Saving Concept.”|
|11. Light alternately blinking three times and then steady on||Descaling required: After this warning, you can operate the machine if the warning is displayed several times before descaling is needed.|
|12. Coffee grounds in the cup||Start the cleaning procedure twice.See paragraph on “Cleaning.”|
How To Contact The Nespresso Club?
If you need further information, have a problem, or need advice, you can call the Nespresso Club. You can find the contact details for your nearest Nespresso Club in the ‘Smart Start’ folder on your machine packaging or at nespresso.com.
Disposal And Environmental Protection
Nespresso Vertuo also complies with EU Directive 2012/19/EU. The packaging and device contain recyclable materials. Your Nespresso Vertuo contains valuable materials that can be recovered or recycled. Separation of remaining waste by type facilitates the recycling of useful raw materials.
Take the Nespresso Vertuo to the collection point. Contact your local authority for disposal information. For more information on Nespresso’s sustainability strategy, please visit www.nespresso.com/positive.
A reliable company always gives the privilege to the consumers by providing them with the guarantee their customers need for the appliance, and Nespresso considers proof a significant lead.
- Nespresso warrants this machine against defects in materials and artistry for one year.
- The warranty starts on the date of purchase, and Nespresso requires the original receipt to confirm the date.
- During the warranty period, Nespresso will, at its option, repair or replace defective products free of charge to the owner.
- Replacement products or repaired parts are warranted only for the unexpired time of the original warranty or six months, whichever period is longer. This limited warranty does not apply to defects caused by negligence, accident, misuse, or otherwise.
- Some issues are not the responsibility of the company, i.e., Connection to the wrong power supply. Unauthorized modification or repair of the product. Commercial use, use due to fire, lightning, flood damage, or other external factors.
- This warranty is only applicable in the country where it is purchased or other countries where Nespresso sells or services the same model with identical technical specifications. Warranty service outside the country of purchase is limited to the warranty terms applicable in the land of service.
- If this warranty does not cover the cost of repair or replacement, Nespresso will notify the Owner, and the price will be billed to the Owner. This limited warranty fully covers Nespresso’s liability for any reason whatsoever. Except as permitted by law, the terms of this limited warranty do not exclude, limit, or alter any mandatory statutory rights applicable to the sale of this product. If you think your product is defective, please get in touch with Nespresso to find out how to proceed with the repair.
- For contact details, please visit our website www.nespresso.com.
Have A Caffeine Rush With Nespresso!
Your wait is now over! Rush to your Nespresso Vertuo Machine to make your favourite flavour of the coffee. I have provided you with all the details you will need in order to get the best out of your Nespresso Vertuo Machine. In case of any issues, feel free to contact the representatives of Nespresso Club to get help or otherwise reread this article. Furthermore, if you want to know more about coffee makers or coffee beans visit our website”Coffeeaim.com”
How Do I Reset My Nespresso Vertuo?
1. Open the Nespresso Vertuo machine head and eject the used capsule.
2. Close the head. Leave the lever in the unlocked position.
3. Press the button five times within 3 seconds. The button slowly blinks five times to confirm that the reset is completed.
How Should I Clean My Nespresso Vertuo?
The machine has predefined cleaning procedures that can initiate at the user’s discretion. If you are using your Nespresso Vertuo Machine for an office or a staff room, I would recommend you to clean it daily.
1. Rinse the water tank before adding fresh drinking water and Insert the water tank
2. Clean your cup holder. Place a container with a capacity of at least 0.4l under the coffee spout.
3. Open the head and take out the used capsule. Empty and rinse the capsule container.
4. Close the head and turn the lever to the left until it locks.
5. Press the ON/OFF button three times within two seconds. The button flashes quickly during processing. It takes 2 minutes for the stream to come out. The cleaning process will run automatically for 5 minutes. The procedure consists of 3 cycles of water flow from pumping/cleaning inside/outlet to closing.
6. You can abort the process by pressing the button. The button will always remain on.
What Does The Blinking Orange Light Mean On Nespresso Vertuo?
If the orange light on the Nespresso Vertuo is flashing, it indicates that the machine is experiencing issues and requires troubleshooting. One of the most common reasons for the flashing orange light is the need for descaling the machine. You need to descale it as early as possible.