Today my morning started with cold, rainy weather. I was so happy to see it, I thought I had to make this moment more entertaining. You know! What was the first thing that came to my mind? It was a cup of coffee.
I don’t know why but whenever I think about coffee, it boosts my energy and makes me feel happy. Do you feel the same way? If you are a true coffee lover like me, then you must know How To Use A Nespresso U with Safety Precautions and make the best coffee without any effort. So, you can make your life and time more fun with Nespresso U as it is designed specially for you.
Well, If you don’t know then no worries, I’m sharing the best health and safety tips for baristas while making coffee from Nespresso U, read this guide and try delicious coffee.
As you’ve started brewing coffee from Nespresso U, are you aware of Safety Precautions? It can be potentially dangerous if you don’t care and pay attention. So, It is advisable to take a number of safety measures to stay away from the risks.
Common dangers of using a Nespresso U machine include:
- Fatal electric shock and fire.
- Burning risk from steam and hot liquids.
- Burns from hot components.
- Fingers may be injured by the capsule compartment.
- Spills from hot liquids.
Safety guidelines can help prevent risks that can be associated with making hot drinks. We have written a detailed article for you about Nespresso U safety precautions, you can read it by clicking the link below:
Nespresso U Overview
- Coffee machine
- Nespresso capsules Grand Crus tasting gift
- Nespresso Welcome folder
- User manual
- Soft touch controls. All controls are activated by touch such as:
R) Ristretto touch
E) Espresso touch
L) Lungo touch
- Slider for capsule insertion
- Used capsule container & drip tray
- Adjustable cup support and drip grid
- Coffee outlet
- Adjustable water tank arm
- Water tank
- Water tank lid
Specifications for Nespresso U (BEC300)
|Dimension||W 115 mm x H 251 mm x D 369 mm|
|Power Volts||220 V|
|Power Hertz||50-60 Hz|
|Power Watts||<1260 W|
|Pressure Pump||Maximum 19 Bar|
|Water Reservoir Capacity||0.8 Liter|
|Warm Up Time||25 seconds|
Related Content: How to Use A Nespresso Machine →
Nespresso U First Use Or After Long Period Of Non-Use
Using any machine for the first time seems a bit difficult but a proper guidance or instructions makes our work super easy. I was very confused while using a Nespresso machine for the very first time because I did not have proper guidance about it, but you are lucky, I am available here to guide you about the dos and don’ts of Nespresso U. Surely, it will be very helpful for you.
- First, pull out the water tank and also take out the capsule container.
- Adjust the wire length and store extra under the machine.
- Set the cable on the left or right side under the guide, depending on the chosen position of the water tank.
- Always take care of your machine and keep it in an upright position.
- Now, connect your baby into the mains.
- Rinse the water reservoir before filling it with drinking water.
- Place the water tank on its arm, it is attached with a magnet.
- Fit the drip tray and capsule container into the position.
- For your own safety, use the Nespresso machine with a drip tray and capsule container in its position.
- Turn On the machine by opening and pushing the slider back towards the machine.
- Light will blink at a touch of coffee button,
- Let the machine heat up for approximately 25 sec.
- Steady light shows Nespresso is ready for the next process.
- Your Nespresso U can be turned into off mode if you press and hold any touch control for more than 3 sec. It can confirm it by other 2 controls flashing.
- To rinse the machine: place the container under the coffee outlet. Press the Lungo button and close the slider. Repeat it 3 times.
Coffee Preparation With Nespresso U
Brewing coffee with Nespresso U is quite a simple and effortless process. Its smart and sleek design allows you to make coffee Ristretto (25ml), Espresso (40ml) or Lungo (110ml) at the touch of a button. If you have experienced other models of Nespresso coffee makers before, remember! The process of extracting coffee in Nespresso U is slightly different from others. In this machine, you first select the size of coffee and then insert the capsule into the coffee pod.
Now you can make the perfect coffee, cup after cup just like an expert barista. Just follow the steps mentioned below for Coffee Preparation With Nespresso U.
- As you have rinsed the machine, fill the water tank with fresh drinking water.
- Now place a cup under the coffee outlet. Size depends on the volume of coffee you want to drink.
- You can turn On your coffee machine by two ways:
- Pushing the slider back towards your side.
- There is no power button in the unit. Simply touch any of the desired buttons: Ristretto, Espresso or Lungo to turn on the machine
- Green light will appear on the selected button at the top of the machine.
- Nespresso U takes approximately 25 sec to preheat itself.
- Wait for a few seconds to turn the flashing light into solid.
- Now press your desired coffee button Ristretto, Espresso or Lungo. You can choose the desired volume of coffee even when the machine is heating up.
- Nespresso will start brewing coffee when it gets heated up.
- Nespresso U automatically selects the favorite cup size based on the last 11 coffee preparations.You can modify your desired cup selection by simply pressing Ristretto, Espresso or Lungo.
- As soon as you press the button, coffee will flow and fill your cup according to your wish.
- Open the slider by pushing it back and insert the capsule into it.
- Close the slider.
- Nespresso U will automatically stop extracting coffee when it reaches the intended volume.
- After brewing coffee, Nespresso U automatically ejects the used capsules into the capsule tray.
- You can stop the coffee flow manually in two ways:
- Touch any of the lit control but this needs to be done within 4 seconds of the actual drink being prepared.
- Move the slider back towards the machine until it stops.
- You can program the cup size during brewing:
- Press and hold the button of your choice (Ristretto, Espresso or Lungo).
- When the cup is filled to your liking, release the button.
Your Nespresso U has been set to a new volume setting.
- You can add milk in your recipe by shifting the cup support either left or right side magnets.
Energy Saving Mode
Energy saving mode helps reduce power consumption by automatic power off. You can set the Nespresso U to an energy-saving mode by following ways:
- Auto-Off mode: If the machine is not in use for more than 9 minutes, it will automatically enter “sleep mode” to reduce energy consumption.
- You can manually switch into Off mode by pressing any button for more than 3 seconds. It will be confirmed by the other two buttons flashing.
- Change auto-Off mode: You can change the auto Off setting from 9 to 30 minutes just
- Close the slider.
- Press and hold both the Lungo and Ristretto buttons for more than 3 sec.
- Espresso button will flash once for confirmation.
- To revert back setting, repeat the same process.
- This time, Espresso button will flash 3 times for confirmation.
Congo! You have successfully activated the energy saving mode in your Nespresso U.
Programming The Water Volume
Nespresso U offers you three types of ideal cup-lengths: Ristretto (25ml), Espresso (40ml) or Lungo (110ml) at the touch of a button which you wish to take. You can pre-program the water volume by following the below steps.
- Open the slider and insert a Nespresso capsule into it.
- Press and hold one of the three buttons you want to program.
- Close the slider.
- Once your cup is fill according to your desire amount of coffee, release the button.
- The other two buttons will flash for confirmation.
Now, U Machine is restored to a new volume setting.
Emptying The System Before A Period Of Non-Use Or Before A Repair
If you are not intended to use your Nespresso U for a long time or your baby is going to be cared for. Follow these farewell steps:
Note: After emptying mode, Nespresso U will remain blocked for 10 sec.
- Set a container under the coffee outlet.
- Open the slider by pushing it back.
- Now press and hold the Ristretto and Lungo buttons simultaneously for about 6 seconds.
- The other two will flash for confirmation to proceed to the next step.
- It’s time to close the slider to start the procedure.
- Your machine will automatically switch to off mode when empty.
Cleaning Process In Nespresso U
Cleaning the Nespresso U is very simple, and it is recommended to clean and take care of your beloved machine daily or after each use. So you can enjoy every sip of coffee every day. There are few points to consider.
- You should remember to clean the drip tray to remove excess water that drips while brewing coffee.
- Always use dishwashing detergent and a soft damp cloth to clean the machine.
- It is highly dangerous to immerse the machine or its parts in water or other liquid.
- Avoid using strong or abrasive solvents when cleaning your machine.
- Do not use a sponge.
- Never put the machine in the dishwasher.
Descaling Your Nespresso U
To brew a delicious coffee time after time, we recommend you to descale your Nespresso U at least once a year (if you use soft water). It only takes 15-20 minutes to do descaling. I think it’s not a big deal to use that little time to drink a wonderful cup of coffee every day.
Note: For hard water it is recommended to descale your machine twice a year because hard water leaves white marks on the bottom of the water tank.
Here are the steps for descaling:
Prepare your Nespresso U
- If there are any coffee capsules in the capsule container or capsule holder, eject them from the machine.
- Check the drip tray and remove water (if needed).
- Fill the water tank with 0.5 liter of water and 1 sachet of Nespresso descaling solution.
- Place approximately 0.6 liter (0.16 US gallon) or larger container under the coffee spout.
- Switch On your machine either by opening the slider or pressing any one of the touch buttons. (Check your manual to determine which button you should press to start the descaling process.)
Activate Your Machine.
- After pressing the button, Lights blinks, wait till the machine stops flashing lights.
- With a close slider, simultaneously press three buttons at the top of the machine for 3 seconds.
- A short beep will confirm that the machine is in operation.
- Now open the slider.
- Again press all 3 buttons simultaneously for at least 3 seconds.
- A short beep sounds to confirm the next action.
- The 3 buttons will blink rapidly to indicate the machine is in descaling mode.
- Now close the slider window to begin the descaling process.
- Machine stops flowing when the water tank is empty.
- Lift the container and refill the water tank with the used solution you already have.
- Place the container back under the coffee outlet.
- Press any touch control to repeat the same process.
- The descaling solution will flow.
- Again lift the container and dump water.
Rinse Nespresso U
- When the cycle is completed, open the tap and thoroughly wash the water tank, capsule container, drip tray and cup support.
- Fill the water tank with fresh water,
- Press any button to start the rinsing cycle.
- Machine will stop flowing when done.
- Now lift the container and discard water.
Exit Descaling Mode
- To exit the descaling mode, press and hold all 3 buttons together for 3 seconds.
- A short beep will confirm that your descaling process is complete.
All done! Now you can continue enjoying your coffee again.
The descaling solution is dangerous for you in many aspects. A little carelessness during the descaling process can be harmful to you so avoid contact with eyes, skin and surfaces. If an accident occurs, consult your physician immediately.
Nespresso recommends us to use the Nespresso descaling kit available at the Nespresso Club instead of any other chemicals, as this can damage your machine. Please contact your Nespresso Club for any additional query you may have regarding descaling.
Given below table will help you to identify the descaling frequency needed for your machine’s best performance, based on water hardness.
|Water Hardness||Descale After|
|fH||dH||CaCO3 (Calcium Carbonate)||Cups (40 ml)|
Nespresso descaling kit: Ref. 3035/CBU-2
|No lights at the top.||Nespresso U automatically turns Off after 9 min. of inactivity. Simply touch the button or push the slider to turn on again.|
|No liquid flow.||The water tank may be empty, fill it with drinking water. Descale your machine, if limescale is found.|
|Coffee is not much hot.||You can preheat the cup in the microwave because it quickly cools down to room temperature. Also descale your machine, if necessary.|
|Slider does not shut down completely or the machine does not start to flow.||If there is a capsule in the capsule container, remove it. Check that there is no capsule stuck inside the machine.|
|Coffee leakage or irregular flow.||Place the water tank properly.|
|Light flashes alternatively from up to down.||Check whether you have discarded the used capsule or if there is no capsule block in the container.|
|Lights flash alternately from down to up.||It happens due to an empty water tank. Just fill it with required water.|
|Lights flash faster.||Exit descaling mode by pressing all 3 buttons for at least 3 seconds. Unplug the power plug and plug it back after 10 seconds.|
|No coffee comes out, just water flowing.||Drag the slider to make sure it’s fully closed.|
|Continuous liquid flow.||Gently move the slider towards the back of the machine to stop the flow.|
|Machine switches to off mode.||Machine will turn off after 9 minutes of non-use to save energy.See paragraph “Energy Saving Mode” for the energy saving concept.|
How To Contact The Nespresso Club
As we may not have anticipated all of your appliance usage, if you need any additional information, having a problem or need advice, call the Nespresso Club or your Nespresso authorised representative.
Contact details for your nearest Nespresso Club or your Nespresso representative can be found in the «Welcome to Nespresso» folder on your machine box or at www.nespresso.com
Disposal And Environmental Protection Of Nespresso U
Your machine contains valuable material that can be recovered or reused even when coffee cannot be produced from Nespresso U. It is an eco-friendly product that is manufactured from more than one-third of the machine’s plastic parts from recycled materials, so after separation of remaining waste materials into different categories helps in recycling of valuable raw materials. Leave the device at the collection point. You can get information about disposal from your local authorities.
- Nespresso is committed to sourcing the highest quality coffee that is grown with respect for the environment and farming communities. Nespresso has been working closely with the Rainforest Alliance since 2003 to develop the AAA Sustainable Quality Coffee Program.
- Nespresso chooses aluminum as the material for coffee capsules because it helps to protect the coffee and taste of the aroma of Nespresso Grands Crus. Aluminum also lasts for a long time. It can be recycled, without losing its perfection.
- Nespresso always delights its customers by designing and building innovative devices that are high-performance and user-friendly.
Limited Warranty Of Nespresso U
Breville offers you 2 years guarantee for household use (or 3 months for commercial use). If your machine gets defective before the guarantee period ends, then you will get repair free of cost but if the machine needs to be repaired after the guarantee period, then the company will charge for maintenance.
If you do not use the machine in accordance with the instructions given by the company and your machine breaks down, the company will not be liable to pay for any damage to your machine.
Claim Under The Breville Warranty
Nespresso handles product inquiries and product services on behalf of Breville. If your product gets defective, you can directly contact the Nespresso customer service team for instructions on where to send or bring it for repair by an authorized Breville service agent.
Nespresso U is imported and distributed by Breville and this warranty is provided by Breville. To the extent permitted by law, Nespresso assumes no responsibility for the product and all warranties, guarantees and conditions are excluded by Nespresso.
Contact Nespresso Australia: 1800 623 033 or New Zealand: 0800 234 579 email@example.com.
How to Use A Nespresso U Guide
This guide will help you understand how you can easily use Nespresso U without any prior experience. Just read it completely
Which button do you press on the Nespresso U machine?
The Nespresso U has no power button to turn it on/off. Simply touch Ristretto, Espresso, or Lungo the button to turn on the machine.
How do you adjust Nespresso U cup size?
You can adjust three types of cup size in Nespresso U: Lungo 110 ml, Espresso 40 ml and Ristretto 25 ml. You can set water volume by using the instruction below:
- Turn on your Nespresso U machine.
- Fill the water with fresh drinking water.
- Open the slider and Insert the Nespresso pod into the container.
- To set the cup, press and hold the button.
- Close the slider.
- Release the button until you get your desired volume of coffee.
Welldone! You have successfully adjusted the cup size.
What is the difference between Lungo and Espresso?
Lungo is the long shot of coffee about 110 ml and Espresso is the short cup of coffee approximately 40 ml.
Do you need to clean Nespresso U after every use?
It is not mandatory to clean your Nespresso U after every use but you can do it after twice use. If you do so it will maintain the hygiene and life of your machine.
What happens if you don’t descale your Nespresso U?
If you don’t descale your Nespresso U, it will build up a limescale that will clog your machine. As a result, you won’t be able to continue drinking enough coffee.
Why isn’t my Nespresso U brewing a full cup?
Look at all the possible factors:
- There is not enough water in the water tank to serve you a full cup of coffee.
- You might have accidentally changed the water volume setting.
- Maybe your machine needs to be descale.
How do I know if my Nespresso U is in descaling mode?
When you open the slider and press the 3 buttons together for 3 sec, these buttons on the top of your Nespresso U will beep and blink green together, indicating that your machine is in descaling mode.
What does 3 flashing lights on a Nespresso U mean?
3 flashing lights on your Nespresso U indicates that your machine has entered into descaling mode.
How do you use a Nespresso U machine for beginners?
Nespresso U machine is very convenient to use. As you are a beginner coffee maker, just read the description below and see how beautifully you can use this Nespresso machine.
- First, set up your machine properly and plug it into the mains.
- Cleaning is mandatory, so rinse the water tank then fill it with drinking water.
- Place the water tank in its position and also place the cup under the coffee outlet.
- Turn On the machine by pushing the slider back.
- Your machine will take 25 minutes to warm up.
- Now press your preferred coffee style: Ristretto, Espresso Or Lungo.
- Insert the capsule and gently close the slider.
- Nespresso will start extracting coffee. You will get your drink soon..
- Don’t forget to remove the used capsule from the container and also check the drip tray.
That’s too easy and quick!
How do you use the 3 buttons on a Nespresso U machine?
You will see these 3 buttons on the top of the machine: Ristretto, Espresso or Lungo. These buttons make a lot of sense when descaling your machine. For activating your machine when descaling, press these buttons simultaneously. These touches will again help your machine to exit from descaling mode.
How do I reset my Nespresso U?
Nespresso U offers three different types of cup sizes: 110 ml for a Lungo, 40 ml for an Espresso and 25 ml for a Ristretto. You can set your desired cup size by using the instruction below:
- First, make sure you have turned on your machine and the reservoir is filled with water.
- Insert the Nespresso pod into the container.
- Now press and hold the button you wish to program.
- Release the button when you get your desired amount of coffee.
Welldone! You have successfully set the desired volume of water.
How do you make coffee in a Nespresso U machine?
If you have ever use Nespresso other models of coffee machine you will observe using Nespresso U is not a science, just follow instructions properly
- First rinse the water tank then fill it with filter water.
- Place a cup under the coffee spout.
- Now, turn the Nespresso U on. You will see green light at the top.
- Your Nespresso U will take 25 sec to heat up.
- When the lights steady, select Ristretto (25ml), Espresso (40ml) or Lungo (110ml) to brew.
- Now open the slider, put a coffee pod and close it.
- Soon you will have your desired cup of coffee.
- Nespresso U automatically ejects the used capsule after brewing.
Bravo! It’s all done.