Oh, Man! It’s time for cleaning Again! I can understand 😀 Cleaning the brewer is not an easy task. But what if I make cleaning easy for you by showing you an effortless way? If yes, then first,
I would welcome you here. Coffee extraction using Nespresso Citiz is all fun and games until the rinsing part arrives. Although I would say cleaning is not challenging, but my laziness does make a pessimistic move. No doubt, Nespresso machines can last up to months without cleaning, but time surely puts some effects on coffee quality and quantity, and to remove this effect, you have to run a cleansing brew cycle once a month to keep the machine clean.
If you are new to the cleaning process, then this guide would be a great helper for you. So let’s start the cleaning process and makes things easy for you.
- If you want to know more about Nespresso machines, feel free to read out the Best Nespresso Machines guide.
- Throughout the process, you should prioritize your safety by following the safety precautions.
A Step-By-Step Procedure On How To Clean Nespresso Citiz
To start the cleaning process, it’s good to remove and clean the removable parts of your machine and set them aside to dry meanwhile you internally rinse the machine. It would save you a little time. Further, these removable parts, such as the water tank, drip tray, drip grid, drip base, etc., need to be cleaned regularly if you are using your machine on daily bases. Furthermore, Internal rinsing helps to remove and prevent hard water minerals and calcium deposits from building up.
- First, empty the capsule compartment by lifting the lever and then undo it. If there was a capsule, it would then fall into the capsule container.
- Secondly, empty and rinse the capsule container, drip tray, and water tank and set them aside to air dry. (you can also dry them using a cloth in case you have free time at your hand).
- You don’t have to dry the water tank as you need it during the process. Fill the water tank with fresh & clean water and place it back on the machine.
- Place a container of 1 L under the coffee outlet.
- Turn your machine ON by pressing either Lungo or Espresso button.
- Button LEDs will start blinking and will keep on blinking for approx. 25 seconds.
- During this whole time, the machine has been heated up. After 25 seconds, the LEDs will become still means the machine is now heated up and ready for use.
- Press the Lungo Button. The water will start cascading out from the outlet into the container. Once the cascading stops again, process the Lungo button. Again press the Lungo button once the cascading stops. In total, you have to press the Lungo button 3 times throughout the whole rinsing process.
- Then, refill the tank with fresh water.
- Cleaning has been done.
- To clean the machine’s outer side, use a soft, damp cloth.
How To Differentiate Between Descaling And Cleaning Of Your Nespresso Citiz?
Some people got confused about descaling and cleaning. I will take your confusion away by telling you both are different procedures: descaling is another thing, and so does the Cleaning. In Descaling, you use Descaling solution and first run a cleansing brew cycle using descaling solution, then rinse the machine using clean water. In cleaning, you only clean or rinse the machine using clear water.
Cleaning helps remove coffee oil residue and deposits from the machine, and once-in-month cleaning also prevents forming of strong mineral deposits. However, descaling works more effectively as its strong acidic solution helps in breaking long-formed deposits of coffee grounds, calcium, and magnesium deposits.
All-in-all, both increase the life of your brewer.
Video On How To Clean Nespresso Citiz
If you wish to watch the whole cleaning procedure, you can check out the video below on how to Clean the Nespresso Citiz.
Guide On How To Clean Nespresso Citiz
The whole cleaning process has undoubtedly brought out a few questions in your mind, and here I am willing to wipe out those questions from your mind by answering them in detail. So keep reading!
What Is The Cheapest Way To Clean An Espresso Machine?
Cleaning the Nespresso machine is done with water which is the cheapest way you can clean your Espresso machine like Nespresso Citiz. To start the cleaning process:
- Fill the water tank with fresh water.
- Place a container of 1 L under the coffee outlet and remove any capsule from the capsule compartment.
- Turn ON the machine and wait until the machine is ready for use.
- Press the Lungo button. The water will start pouring into the placed container.
- Once the cascading stops again, press the Lungo button.
- Repeat the above point (5) one more time.
- Refill the tank with fresh water.
- After this, your machine will be clean and ready to use.
Can I Use Baking Soda To Clean the Espresso Machine?
You can clean your Espresso machine using baking soda, but that would be descaling; not cleaning and descaling using baking soda is not recommended by Nespresso. For this, add 3.2 g of baking soda in half a liter of water, or for 1 L water, use 6.4 g baking soda and brew rinsing cycle by pressing and holding the Lungo button until all the solution from the water tank has been poured into the placed container. Refill the tank with the same poured solution and repeat the process 4-6 times. Lastly, rinse and clean the water tank and fill it with fresh water. Discard the solution from the container and place it back under the machine’s outlet. Again press and hold the Lungo button until all the water from the water tank has been poured into the placed container. After this, your machine will be clean.
How Do You Deep Clean An Espresso Machine?
For deep cleaning, Descaling or cleaning are good options. Cleaning is recommended to be done once a month and descaling twice a year. For descaling, you have to brew the cycle using the solution and then brew the rinsing cycle; For cleaning, you have to brew the rinsing cycle using water. To further want to know these processes in detail then, you can check out the How to Use Nespresso Citiz guide.
How Do I Clean My Nespresso Coffee Machine Naturally?
To clean your Nespresso machine naturally, you can use only water for rinsing. Fill the tank with fresh drinking water and turn ON the machine by pressing either Lungo or Espresso button. Remove any capsule from the capsule compartment and place a 1 L container under the coffee outlet. When the machine is ready, press the Lungo button. The water will start cascading into the placed container. Once the cascading stops again, press the Lungo button. Repeat the previous line one more time. Refill the tank with fresh drinking water. This is how you can clean your Nespresso machine naturally.
Do Nespresso Machines Need To Be Cleaned?
Yes, besides descaling, cleaning is also an important factor in keeping the machine quality new. It is recommended to clean your Nespresso machine once a month.
Can I Use Vinegar And Water To Clean My Nespresso Machine?
You can use vinegar plus water to clean your Nespresso machine. For this, you have to pour the exact same amount of water and vinegar into the water tank, as only vinegar can affect the machine’s internal parts. Remember, vinegar is not a recommended cleaning agent by Nespresso.
How Do You Clean A Espresso Machine Without A Solution?
You can use only water to clean your Nespresso Citiz machine. To do this, pour water into the water tank and press the Lungo button; the water will start pouring into the placed container. Once the pouring stops again, press the Lungo button. Repeat the previous line one more time. Refill the tank with fresh water, and Voila, cleaning without solution, has been done.
Can I Use Baking Soda To Clean The Nespresso Machine?
Yes, baking soda can be used to clean the Nespresso machine. For this, add 6.4g of baking soda in 1 L of water or 3.2g of baking soda in half a liter of water. Then brew the rinsing cycle to clean the brewer.
What Can I Clean My Nespresso Machine With?
You can clean your Nespresso Citiz machine using water. The descaling process of your Nespresso Citiz can be done using baking soda, vinegar, citric acid, cleaning tablets, etc.
What Are The 5 Stages Of Cleaning?
The five stages of cleaning are
- Preparing: prepare your machine for cleaning. For instance, remove the capsule from the capsule holder. Empty the capsule container and drip tray as well.
- Initiating: Start the process by filling the water tank with water and turning on the machine.
- Cleaning/Rinsing cycle: brew the rinsing cycle by pressing the Lungo button. The water will start cascading into the placed container. Once the cascading stops again, press the Lungo button. Repeat the previous line one more time.
- Finishing: discard the water in the container and refill your water tank with fresh water
- Done: your machine will be clean and ready for use.
Should I Descale Or Clean First?
Cleaning and descaling are both different things, although both have the same target, which is cleaning the brewer and keeping it in good health. Cleaning should be done once a month while descaling twice a year. So if almost six months has been passed without descaling, then it’s good to descale your brewer and then give a month gap for cleaning the brewer.
How Do I Enter My Nespresso In The Descaling Mode?
To enter Nespresso in the descaling mode, press and keep holding the Espresso and Lungo buttons together for 3 seconds. The machine will then enter the descaling mode and can continue the descaling (cleaning) procedure.
The cleaning procedure and all the related queries have been presented to you. I believe after reading and following this guide, you have been able to clean your machine in a proper way. No matter how loathful the cleaning is for you, it always comes with a great outcome.
Adieu, Sweet Pals!
How Often To Clean Nespresso Citiz?
It’s good to clean your Nespresso Citiz machine once a month. Cleaning helps in removing the new-formed deposits and dirt, keeping the machine’s flow in good shape.
How Do I Run Clean Cyle On My Nespresso Citiz Machine?
To run a cleaning cycle on the Nespresso Citiz machine, fill the water tank with fresh water and place a 1 L container under the coffee outlet. Now turn on the machine and wait for the machine to heat up. After approx. 25 seconds, the machine will be heating up and ready for use. Press the Lungo button; you will see water will start pouring out of the coffee outlet. Once the water flow stops again, press the Lungo button and again when the flow stops. Refill the water tank with fresh water. The cleaning cycle has been done, and your machine is clean now.
How Do I Clean My Nespresso Citiz Machine?
To clean your Nespresso machine internally, you have to fill the tank with fresh water. Remove any capsule from the Capsule compartment as well. Placed a container of 1 L under the coffee outlet and turned the machine ON. When the machine is ready, press the Lungo button. The water will start pouring out of the machine’s coffee outlet. Once the flow stops, press the Lungo button. Again press the Lungo button to stop of water flow. Discard the water that has just been poured into the container and refill the tank with fresh water. Internal cleaning has been done. For the out cleaning, remove and clean the drip tray, drip grid, drip base, and capsule container. Use a soft, damp piece of cloth to clean the machine’s outer covering.
When Should I Descale My Nespresso Citiz?
To descale your Nespresso Citiz follow the instructions below:
- Half fill the tank with fresh water and pour one whole Nespresso descaling solution sachet into the tank.
- Turn ON the Nespresso machine by pressing either Espresso or Lungo button and wait for the machine to heat up.
- Place a container of 1 L under the coffee outlet.
- Remove any capsule from the capsule compartment.
- Press and keep holding both the Lungo and Espresso buttons together for 3 seconds to enter the machine in descaling mode.
- Press the Lungo button one time and wait until the tank empties and all the water from the tank is poured into the placed container.
- Refill the machine’s tank with the solution that has just been poured into the container at point 6 and repeat the process 4-6 times.
- After this, discard the solution in the container and rinse and clean the water tank.
- Fill the water tank with fresh water.
- Press the Lungo button and wait until all the water from the tank is poured into the container.
- Refill the tank with the poured water and repeat the above process one more time.
- Descaling has been done, and your machine is ready to make amazing coffees again.
- Press and hold the Lungo and Espresso buttons for 3 seconds to exit the descaling mode.